MI-JMS Fall 2015 Newsletter
With three retired judges who have tried more than 1000 jury trials and 67 years of combined experience, alternative dispute resolution (ADR) provided by the retired judicial neutrals at Michigan Judicial Mediation Services (MI-JMS) PC is a quicker and more cost efficient way in which to resolve disputes between the parties either prior to or after commencement of litigation in a neutral conflict-free environment.
Alternative dispute resolution can take many forms including arbitration (binding or non-binding), facilitation, and private or court ordered mediation. There are many advantages to alternative dispute resolution including:
- the proceedings are conducted confidentially rather than in a public forum where sensitive information can be exposed to competitors, the general public or the media;
- alternative dispute resolution methods are less adversarial and help preserve existing personal and business relationships and reputations;
- alternative dispute resolution is often more suitable to resolve complex business or commercial multi-party disputes;
- the procedure is more flexible than court, i.e. the process is determined by the parties to the dispute;
- the costs are lower and economically efficient;
- there is less confusion or complexity regarding process;
- alternative dispute resolution allows the parties to mutually select a neutral third party with expertise in the subject matter of the dispute and someone whom they trust to direct negotiations, adjudicate and avoid the uncertainty associated with jury trials;
- because the parties are engaged in the selection and dispute resolution process there is a higher likelihood of settlement;
- alternative dispute resolution offers an opportunity for quicker resolution of disputes rather than the years it may take to get to trial;
- the parties can craft practical solutions customized to the parties’ interests and needs that may not be options for the judge or jury in a trial; and
- agreements reached in negotiated settlements are better alternatives to non-negotiated judicial options and are far more lasting.
Michigan Judicial Mediation Services PC offers a wide variety of alternative dispute options with convenient 24/7 online scheduling. For your next case, consider retired Judges Ryan, Stempien and Foster as your individual facilitators or mediators or as your next three judicial neutral panel for your next arbitration or special case evaluation. For more information or to schedule an appointment on line 24/7, visit http://www.mijadr.com , e-mail email@example.com or contact 734-744-9822.